logo - Join me in the 1900s mid C20th
The webmaster, Pat Cryer,late teens

Life in a University
Hall of Residence in 1950s England

YOU ARE HERE: home > housing


By way of introduction, I went up to university in 1957. At that time, of course there was no internet and all one had to go on to choose a university was its brochure and, if one was lucky, the personal experience of someone already there. I chose Exeter because I rather liked the Roman sounding name and because my school headmistress had been adamant that part of the university experience was to go so far away from home that one was effectively separated from it. To add weight to the choice, Exeter agreed to accept me, subject to satisfactory A-levels, just on the basis of a photograph! Perhaps my headmistress had to send a reference. I don't know. Whatever, it was a pretty hit-and-miss way of choosing, of which I am not proud.

Universities varied in the 1950s, just as they do now. So my experience at Exeter can't be counted as typical. Yet I suspect that the aspects described below were more or less typical of earlier years, ie before the Second World War changed everything. (Not that everything was the same. What was different was that in 1957, the country was set on recovery after the short two-year degrees of the war years and the displacement of British youth in the armed forces and then on national service. I graduated, for example, a year ahead of my older cousin, simply because he, being male, had been forced to do two years of national service before university.) With things back on track, there was much new thinking but also many of the pre-war norms remained in place.

to top of page

My University hall of residence - Barton Place

I was placed in a University hall of residence which really was a hangover of formal times. It was called Barton Place. While I was there, large purpose-built halls of residence started going up close to the university, with single study bedrooms, and I believe, although I am not sure, that they were also mixed sex. Barton Place could not have been more different.

Barton Place, hall of Residence of the University of Exeter, 1957

Barton Place, hall of Residence of the University of Exeter, 1957

Barton Place was a large and rambling old house in an old country estate. Sheep and cows roamed around it and the views were of patchwork quilts of hillside fields. It housed about 20 female students. I say 'about' because the pressure to economise meant that additional students kept being squeezed in. I was placed in a large room with two other room-mates. There was no quiet room, although a room called the sickroom could very unreliably be used for study if no-one was sick or staying as a guest.

The hall had a permanent live-in warden, Miss Callard, and a live-in matron.

Barton Place, hall of Residence of the University of Exeter, 1957

Barton Place, hall of Residence of the University of Exeter, 1957, showing its rural setting.

The hall was some way out from the university and it was quite a cycle ride to get in. The better-off students used the bus, but I came from a family where economy was a way of life. Anyway, I rather enjoyed the cycle rides as traffic was sparse.

Scattered around Exeter were other rather similar halls of residence in their own large grounds. I believe that they were all bigger than Barton Place with many more student residents. All were much nearer the university with the exception of Crossmead, a male hall of residence on the other side of Exeter.

The Washington Singer Laboratories University of Exeter, 1957

The Washington Singer Laboratories University of Exeter, 1957, where I spent much of my time. It was widely known as 'the Block'.

The lack of somewhere reliable where I could work quietly was a big problem for me. Clearly the university appreciated the difficulties, which was why the new halls had been commissioned, but that was no help to me at the time. I was told I could use the library on the campus, but in view of the distance, that was hardly somewhere to pop into of an evening. I have frequently wished that I had arrived a couple of years later and been able to have my own study bedroom. This remains true even though I have struck up life-long friendships with my hall room-mates of that time.

Shortly after I graduated, ie after the new purpose-built halls were in operation, Barton Place closed as a hall of residence and became a postgraduate centre. The last time I was there, it was an old people's home.

to top of page

Heating in halls of residence bedrooms

Devon has a relatively mild climate, but in the winter it did get cold. There was no central heating in the bedrooms, only gas fires, and there was a firm rule that no gas fire was to be turned on until the afternoon. The argument was that we should all be out at lectures in the mornings, but clearly economy came into it - and there were no lectures at the weekends. So every winter morning we got up, washed and dressed in the cold. I wonder now why there weren't major rebellions over it, but I suppose we were children of the war years, who accepted discomfort.

The rule about heating added to my difficulties of finding anywhere quiet to work.

to top of page

Meals in my hall of residence

All meals were provided in the hall of residence: breakfast, lunch, afternoon tea and supper/dinner. If students wished to miss a meal for any reason, they had to 'sign out' in a special book. A kettle was available in a corridor for making drinks with our own coffee or cocoa.

Twice a week, supper gave way to what was called 'formal dinner'. There was a fine if one was late. I can't remember anyone ever being late or indeed anyone ever refusing to pay any of the various fines.

For the formal dinners, everyone had to wear their gowns. (These were undergraduate gowns; there were different ones for graduates.) We all congregated in the large and elegant common room which boasted William Morris wallpaper on the walls. Then, when a bell was rung, we all trouped into the small dining room. The warden scanned us all to check that we were wearing our gowns, and we all stood for grace which she said. We were served by the kitchen staff. Once everyone had finished, the warden and matron stood up, and we stood up too. Then the warden led us back into the common room where coffee was served.

In many ways, the experience of the formality was good for me, although it was a glimpse into times past rather than a preparation for the future. I learnt, for example, to use a specially shaped spoon for my soup, to scoop the soup away from me rather than towards me and that any tipping of the plate had to be away from me. I must have learnt much more, but as it became second nature, I can't remember the details. I do know that I was the only student in my year in hall who came from a state grammar school rather than a fee-paying school, and at times, I was made to feel it.

Some of the better-off students went into town some evenings to eat out, but for me that was a waste of money. I was 20 years old before I tasted a fillet steak and that was only because the mother of my overseas room-mate visited and took me out.

to top of page


Strictly no males were allowed up any of the staircases. Entertaining had to be in the common room. There was no privacy.

to top of page

Staying out late

The warden clearly felt that it was her duty to keep us on the straight and narrow, and indeed legally at that time, we were not classed as adults before the age of 21.

So there was a rule that everyone had to be back in hall by 11pm. The lights in the porch would flash two minutes before as a warning. Then the couples dotted around the porch would separate and we residents would all troupe inside. (Clearly the male undergraduates didn't have such stringent requirements, as they would have got back considerably later.) After 11pm the door was locked. Occasionally there was talk about girls climbing in late through windows, but I can't confirm it. The official line was that the front door bell had to be rung and when the warden answered it she would allocate fines according to how late one was.

If there was a good reason for staying out after 11pm, the procedure was to apply to the warden for what was called a 'late exeat', but we were normally only allowed two per term. I suppose that late exeats meant the warden staying up late to let the latecomers in.

to top of page

Managing money as a student

There was one way in which our lives as university students were much easier than those of students today: it was in managing money. The only money that I ever handled was what my parents gave me for pocket money.

Local authorities were generous in those days, but perhaps they could afford to be because only 2% of the population went to university. There was some sort of sliding scale according to how much parents earned, but I never knew much about it. As far as I was concerned, I never had to arrange or handle fees for my hall or residence or my course. My parents bought my set books second hand in vacations. No one had to leave university with a debt.

to top of page